But just how easy is it? Is doing it yourself really going to be cost-effective and better than just hiring a professional to do it? Here are the facts:
Professionally InstalledIt’s always important to consider your options. When considering hiring a professional, you should know that there are two types of home security systems that professionals install: leased and purchased. The costs of these two different systems and services differ.
Leased home security systemsHome security costs include a setup fee and a monthly monitoring contract. Other charges depend on what type of package and plan you choose. Here’s the breakdown:
- Installation: Typically around $100.
- Contract: Home security system companies usually require a 3-year commitment contract, and their monthly fees range from $30-$40 a month.
- Cancellation fee: Variable, but calculated as the unused portion of months left in the contract times the highest rate.
Purchased home security systemsPurchased home security systems have more costs up front, but are cheaper over the long term:
- Equipment and Installation: $100-$1,500.
- Contract: Most require a 3-year contract, but some do not. The monthly monitoring fee is about $15-$20 a month.
- Cancellation fee: From 75 percent of the fees due to the full amount.
DIY Security SystemThere are a variety of options in selecting which type of DIY security system you can install. Most alarm systems come with sensors that are monitored wirelessly by a central control panel. When the sensors are triggered, a loud siren will go off – deterring the intruders from your home. In addition, some DIY systems can be set up to automatically call your mobile; however, you are not supposed to set this feature up to call the police.
DIY Security System Costs
- Set-up fee: FREE-$35
- Sensors and control panel: $200-$500
- Monthly fee: $8.95-$19.95
Sylvia Rosen is an online writer with a background in newspaper journalism. She connects with industry professionals to write articles on the latest advances in home security, such as wireless home security systems.