Consider what really needs to be changed, what could be changed and what can wait to be changed. A theme and an ambiance should be kept in mind when selecting materials and products. This could be anything from traditional to quirky or modern. A good contractor will be able to help carry out the vision and design for each type of lifestyle being sought. Whether more space or more decoration is desired, remodeling a bathroom not only helps to renew the spirits of the owner but it adds increasing value to the home. These steps will help make the remodeling of a bathroom less chaotic and stressful.
- Plan Ahead: Make a list of the things needing changes and a list of the things that absolutely must be in the bathroom. This should include measurements of the different areas in the bathroom including counters, walls, floor space, etc. Also consider who uses the bathroom. Will it need to accommodate children? Guests?
- Select a Budget: Knowing how much money can be spent on a bathroom remodel must be determined early. This is helpful to the contractor and the owner because it makes the wish list and process more practical. A bathroom remodel can range in costs and is determined by the owner’s desires and needs. However, homeowners should be prepared for extra costs. These extra costs are typically “unseen” costs. Mold behind the walls or structural compromises are two areas that usually fall into the extra cost category.
- Select a contractor: Choose someone local that knows the suppliers, the prices and the area. Referrals and credibility are very important when choosing a contractor. Make sure that the license, credentials and insurance status of the contractor have been reviewed. A contractor who specializes in bathroom remodeling will be able to give input into the project and design being sought, as well. Review the estimates closely before final selection. This includes researching prices and brands of materials and products. Keep in mind a labor fee is included in the final proposal.
- Select the product: It is important that products and materials be selected carefully. Having all of the materials and products purchased before hand is advised to minimize delays, extra expenses and a change of ideas. Know ahead of time how much each of the products should cost to avoid being out of the loop when discussing products and materials with contractors.
- Countertops: Selecting a countertop for the space available and budget can be challenging. Ask the contractor about certain styles and colors that are ideal for a bathroom area.
- Lighting: This is one of the most important parts of a bathroom. A general rule of thumb is that the light should be bright enough to see water traces on the floor and counters. It may be smart to purchase the lighting after the remodel is being finished so that it can be matched to the colors and style of the room.
- Sink: A sink can enhance the look of the bathroom. Many options are available such as a traditional bowl, a glass bowl and even warm wood. A budget will help determine what can be used. For example, a single stand sink may not be a good idea for those seeking storage spaces. Try to narrow down the choice of color, size and style before looking to help save time.
- Flooring: Ceramic tiles and stone are the easiest of the options to keep clean if these can fit within the budget. They also provide a visual appeal to just about any decorating style.
- Cabinets: Cabinets can be custom built or purchased already made. Often time’s cabinets can be renovated with paint and hardware.
- Contract: Everything should be in writing including payment plans, work schedules, the total amount due, finish dates and any other terms necessary so that they are binding. Failure to do this can result in miscommunication, worries and frustration.
The insight listed above provides an excellent starting point when thinking about a bathroom remodeling projects. Remember to plan ahead, stay up to date on the latest trends and pricing, and enjoy the process of watching your bathroom being transformed into a space you will be happy with.